There are many good resources on the internet about how parents can support their children in regard to COVID-19. FMPSD has a continuously updated, great covid-19 FAQs page for parents.
Some common recommendations are:
- Be reassuring and model calmness
- Make yourself available to your children/teens
- Monitor television and social media
- Maintain a normal routine to the extent possible
- Give honest and accurate information that is age-appropriate.
Below are resources to help guide you in your conversations with parents/students/guardians, and provide them with specific information on carrying out the above recommendations.
- Information to help parents recognize and reduce stress in themselves.
- Parent section on what changes to watch for in their children and ways to support.
- For parents with children/teens who have anxiety. Gives direction on maintaining normalcy, listening actively, validating, limiting and monitoring media, when to seek more help.
- Practical information about explaining COVID-19 to children and answering their questions
- Here are some age-appropriate responses to the common questions a toddler might have about coronavirus.
- Has information to keep explanations age-appropriate and points to emphasize with children.
- This link has responses for parents on 4 common questions kids ask: What is Corona Virus; How do you get it; Why are some people wearing masks and should I; Can you die from the virus
Thanks everyone, stay well.
Natalie Doucette, Provisional Psychologist, MC.