Ms. Guilbeau’s Class
Dear grade six families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- November 7 – Remembrance Day Assembly
- November 8 – No School for Students
- November 14 – Picture Retake Day
- November 22 – District Day (No School for Students)
- December 13 – PLF #5 (No School for Students)
- December 16 – Winter Concert (ECDP and Kindergarten)
- December 17 – Winter Concert (Grades 1 to 3)
- December 18 – Winter Concert (Grades 4-6)
- December 20 – PLF #6 (No School for Students)
- December 21 to January 5 – Christmas Break
|After School Clubs|
Monday: 3-4pm – Girls Inc, 3-4pm Girls Volleyball, 3:30-4:30 Pilot Coders
Tuesday: 3-4pm Tech & Trade 5/6 Girls, 3-4pm Boys Volleyball, 3-4pm Drama Club
Wednesday: 3-4pm Tech & Trade Multimedia, 3-4pm Tech & Trade 5/6 Boys, 3-4pm Girls Volleyball
Thursday: 3-4pm Tech & Trade Grade 4, 3-4pm Boys Volleyball, 3-4pm Div 2 Choir
- I am still looking for 1-2 parent representative(s) for our parent council. As we will be planning a Grade Six Trip and Farewell, we would like to have as many parents as possible have input in helping us plan and fundraise. This is a super important role for our class & school and we’d appreciate anyone who is able to take on this role.
- Thank you for participating in our fall class party, we appreciate all the effort you went through to bring in all those amazing snacks! They were so yummy!
- Please check powerschool every Monday for new marks that went up. Message me if you have any questions or concerns.
- Students are continuing Unit 2: Place Value & Numeracy. Please have students play prodigy for 20 minutes every evening as I am tracking their progress on our class prodigy account. The code is: 9A719F.
- We are continuing to work on fact fluency (simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
- Grammar: This week students will be finishing our first unit in grammar which they learned about subjects & predicates, coordinate conjunctions, and compound sentences.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with weekly spelling words. Students will be bringing these words home on Monday and will have a test the following Monday on those words. All these tests are available on powerschool within a few days of them writing them.
- Reading: I am currently testing students on their reading. So far all students have maintained the same reading level as last year.
- Reading Strategies: We have been working on the reading strategy called sequencing as many students are reading, but not understanding why the order is important to remember and how it can affect the story. Students have been working on identifying significant parts of each chapter and how they are sequenced within the story.
- Writing: Our class is currently learning to write newspaper articles as this will be one of the Language Arts components on the PATs. They will be completing 3 more newspaper articles in November. Marks will be going up on powerschool.
- Students will be exploring the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the different between Direct and Representative Democracy, the Development of Democracy starting from British Settlers in Canada and First Nations influence and why we should participate in our democracy.
- Check out this video about the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms
- This week we will continue to label the different parts of a tree and talk about various tree shapes.
- Everyone did amazing on their science tests, marks will be up on powerschool Monday Nov.4.
|Leader in Me|
- Our focus for October until mid-November is courage, generosity & Habit #2 – To Begin With the End in Mind.
- Genius Hour is one hour a week that students get to research their topic of choice, a self-study. It allows students to have choice in their learning and to understand that learning is fun and not a chore, it is exciting! They will then create a project based on their topic of choice and at the end of 8 weeks they will present it (much like a science fair project) to the class, admin and other students within the school.
- Our projects are really starting to come along & the students are really learning so much! I will be creating a post in the next week on the expectations of Genius Hour so stay tuned!
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
I can’t believe we are in the first week of November already, this is so exciting! Big things are coming up and report cards will be out before we know it! I can’t wait to read all the book reports that are due on Monday!