Ms. Guilbeau’s Class
Dear grade six families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- October 2 & 3 – Ms. G is in a District Seminar (T.O.C for both days, all day)
- October 3 – Picture Day
- October 4 – PLF #3 (No School for students)
- October 7 – Fiction Book Report Due
- October 11 – School Awards Assembly at 8:45am
- October 14 – Thanksgiving (No School)
- October 16 & 17 – Parent Teacher Interviews
- October 21 – Comic Book Book Report Due
- October 25 – PLF #4 (No School for students)
- December 16 – Winter Concert (ECDP and Kindergarten)
- December 17 – Winter Concert (Grades 1 to 3)
- December 18 – Winter Concert (Grades 4-6)
- I am still looking for 1-2 parent representative(s) for our parent council. As we will be planning a Grade Six Trip and Farewell, we would like to have as many parents as possible have input in helping us plan and fundraise. This is a super important role for our class & school and we’d appreciate anyone who is able to take on this role.
Students are starting Unit 2: Place Value & Numeracy on October 1st. Please have them keep practicing their math facts at home in the evening for 20 minutes using the websites below & also playing prodigy as I am tracking their progress on our class prodigy account. The code is: 9A719F.
- 9 + 9 (all addition facts up to 9 + 9)
- 18 – 9 (all subtraction facts related to addition facts)
- 9 x 9 (all multiplication facts up to 9 x 9)
- 81 divided by 9 (all related division facts)
- Here are some websites to help practice fact fluency.
- Grammar: This week students will be finishing coordinate conjunctions.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with weekly spelling words. Students will be bringing these words home on Tuesday and will have a test the following Monday.
- Reading: I am currently testing students on their reading. So far all students have maintained the same reading level as last year.
- Reading Strategies: We have been working on the reading strategy called sequencing as many students are reading, but not understanding why the order is important to remember and how it can affect the story. Students have been working on identifying significant parts of each chapter and how they are sequenced within the story.
- Students are continuing to follow the election for a new prime minister this week and will be participating in a student vote.
- Students are following current events and will be starting to use CBC News for kids this week https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/.
- We have just successfully completed our first social test on chapter 1 today, Sept 30th.
- This week students will be using this website to work in groups to learn about each party running in the federal election.
- Next week they will transfer that knowledge to learn about the local election and our riding here in wood buffalo.
- Take some time as a family in the evenings to discuss the various political groups & what each party stands for.
- This week we will be discussing the Nutrient Cycle and the Water Cycle in depth! This is super exciting but requires quite a bit of focus to completely understand and memorize. So please talk about it as a family. 🙂
- We will then be moving into learning about the Oxygen-Carbon Dioxide Cycle & photosynthesis.
|Leader in Me|
- Our focus for October is courage, generosity & Habit #2 – To Begin With the End in Mind.
- Genius Hour is one hour a week that students get to research their topic of choice, a self-study. It allows students to have choice in their learning and to understand that learning is fun and not a chore, it is exciting! They will then create a project based on their topic of choice and at the end of 8 weeks they will present it (much like a science fair project) to the class, admin and other students within the school.
- We will be confirming our rubric on Wednesday.
- Our projects are really starting to come along & the students are really learning so much! I will be creating a post in the next week on the expectations of Genius Hour so stay tuned!
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
I can’t believe we are in October already, this is so exciting! Big things are coming up! I can’t wait to read all the book reports that are due on Monday!